This post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, Alpha and Omega Outdoors may earn from qualifying purchases.
ALPS Mountaineering is a dependable manufacturer of budget-friendly hiking packs that don’t skimp on quality. The Tour 35-45 Day Backpack is a worthy entry into their lineup. The ALPS Mountaineering Tour 35-45 Day Pack is ideal for long day hikes and weekend backpacking adventures. This is largely due to a straightforward design and variable capacity thanks to its roll-top closure,
Stats and Specs
The capacity of the ALPS Mountaineering Tour Day Backpack ranges from 35L to 45L, with the roll-top closure making it possible to expand or contract the main compartment while keeping the load compressed and stable. That main compartment is also accessible via side zippers, and is the only compartment in the pack aside from a small zippered front pocket, mesh water bottle holders and two small hip belt pockets.
The Tour Day Backpack weighs 2 lb. 10 oz.—reasonably lightweight for a pack of this size—and has a removable waist belt and sternum strap. Its torso length ranges from 16″ to 20″, which means that tall hikers might find it a little small, but it should be a good fit for anyone 6’ and under.
The construction of the Tour 35-45 Day Backpack is 200D nylon double-ripstop fabric, with 3D mesh suspension. This allows the back panel and straps to be comfortable and fairly breathable without adding too much weight.
- A rain cover is included
- The pack has a hydration port, although there isn’t a designated sleeve for a hydration pack.
Pros of the ALPS Mountaineering Tour 35-45 Day Backpack
- Variable capacity. The roll-top closure of the ALPS Mountaineering Tour Day Pack allows its capacity to expand from 35L to 45L. This makes it a versatile choice for long day hikes or weekend backpacking trips.
- Easy access to the main compartment. In addition to the roll top, two side zippers provide an option to reach the depths of the main compartment. I found this minimized the amount of rummaging required to get gear from deep inside the pack.
- Quality on a budget. With tear- and abrasion-resistant nylon fabric, a built-in rain cover, sturdy zippers and durable stitching, the ALPS Mountaineering Tour Day Pack is one of the best packs in its price range for short backpacking trips.
Cons of the ALPS Mountaineering Tour 35-45 Day Backpack
- Limited options for organization. The simple design of the ALPS Mountaineering Tour 35-45 Day Backpack is a double-edged sword. Hikers who like to organize their packs with every piece of gear in its particular place may find the single large main compartment frustrating.
- Not ideal for taller hikers. Depending on your build, the 16″ to 20″ torso length of the Tour Day Backpack can make it an uncomfortable fit if you are taller than 6 feet.
ALPS Mountaineering Tour 35-45 Day Backpack: Final Thoughts
Overall, the ALPS Mountaineering Tour Day Backpack is a sturdily built and versatile pack for hikers and backpackers, and it comes at a very reasonable price point. The pack’s pared-down design with a single main compartment and few additional pockets or organizational options will be either a help or a hindrance depending on your preferred method of packing. If you like the design, you’d be hard-pressed to find a similar-sized pack of this quality in this price range.
Richard CorriganRichard Corrigan has been writing about outdoor adventures, gear and travel for more than 10 years. His work has been featured by USA Today, 10Best.com, Next Luxury, and Gone Outdoors. He lives in Upstate New York, and If he isn't at his writing desk, you can probably find him out in the woods somewhere.
Lightweight Cooking Gear for Hiking: Everything You’ll Need
When it comes to lightweight cooking gear for hiking, the choices are plentiful. Learn what to look for in hiking cookware & keep weight down
Wilderness First Aid: What It Is & What Class To Take
Learn about wilderness first aid & find out which class is best for you. If you love the outdoors, this information can keep you safe.