This post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, Alpha and Omega Outdoors may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for the best backcountry chairs for hiking, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, I will discuss what makes a good backpacking chair. To do this I will teach you what to features you should look for when purchasing a backpacking chair. Finally, I’ll review some of the best options on the market. So whether you’re an experienced backpacker or just getting started, read on to find out everything you need to know about choosing the perfect backcountry chair!
Quick Reference Guide – Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
|ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite Chair||CHECK PRICE HERE|
|Helinox Chair Zero Ultralight Compact Camping Chair||CHECK PRICE HERE|
|Big Agnes Skyline UL Ultralight Backpacking Chair||CHECK PRICE HERE|
|BEST VALUE CHOICES|
|BLUU Ultralight Foldable Camping Chairs||CHECK PRICE HERE|
|OneTigris Camping Backpacking Chair||CHECK PRICE HERE|
|MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair||CHECK PRICE HERE|
Table of Contents
- What Should You Look For When Purchasing The Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
- 7 Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
- Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Editor’s Choice
- Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Upgrade Choices
- Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Best Value Choices
- Final Thoughts – Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
- Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Frequently Asked Questions
What Should You Look For When Purchasing The Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
When it comes to backpacking, having a comfortable chair is a must. But what exactly makes a good backpacking chair? In order to answer that question, we must first understand what factors to look for when choosing a backpacking chair. Let’s take a closer look.
Probably the first thing you will want to look at is weight. You want a chair that is lightweight and easy to carry. Backpacking chairs can vary greatly in terms of weight and size, so it’s important to find one that will fit your needs.
The second factor to consider is comfort. After all, you’re going to be spending long hours sitting in your backpacking chair!
When looking for the best backcountry chair for hiking, you want to make sure that the chair is durable and can withstand being used in rugged conditions.
Ease Of Assembly
Another factor to consider is how easy the chair is to set up. Some backpacking chairs are easier to set up than others, and some even come with their own carrying case. If you’re planning on spending a lot of time in your chair, you’ll want to make sure it’s easy to set up and takedown. After all, you don’t want to waste time fiddling with your chair when you could be enjoying the great outdoors!
Finally, you’ll want to consider the price. Backpacking chairs can range from relatively inexpensive to quite pricey, so it’s important to find one that fits within your budget.
Now that we know what factors to look for when choosing a backpacking chair, let’s take a look at some of the Best Backcountry Chairs for Hiking.
7 Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
Hiking is a great way to get in touch with nature. It’s also a workout that leaves you feeling satisfied and refreshed. And, of course, it’s an excellent opportunity for family bonding time. But no matter how good your intentions are when you head out the door, there may be days when even the hardiest hiker just wants to take a break. That’s where the best backcountry chairs for hiking come in!
As a hiker or backpacker, you know that finding the perfect gear is essential to your success. You need gear that is functional, comfortable, and light enough to carry with you on long hikes. When it comes to finding the perfect backcountry chair, I have narrowed down all of the options to my top seven picks. These picks are separated into three categories.
- Editors Choice – The editor’s choice provides the perfect mix of quality and price.
- Upgrade Choice – The upgrade choice is for those of us that are willing to pay a higher price for the absolute best quality.
- Best Value Choice – This simply means that I feel this product is still of sufficient quality to be a good buy while having a lower price than our other choices.
Are you looking for the best backcountry chairs for hiking?
I have researched and compiled a list of the seven best backcountry chairs for hikers and backpackers. These chairs are perfect for anyone looking to make their hikes more comfortable and enjoyable.
With one of these chairs, you will be able to hike further and enjoy your time in the backcountry more than ever before.
Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Editor’s Choice
ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite Chair
Looking for the best backcountry chair to take with you on your hiking trips? Look no further than the ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite Chair. This chair is made of lightweight yet durable materials, has a folding design, and is low to the ground, making it perfect for taking with you on any hike. Plus, its nylon mesh seat provides ventilation on hot days, and it even leans back for supreme relaxation. So if you’re in the market for the best backcountry chair around, be sure to check out the ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite Chair.
- Dimensions 22″ x 14″ x 24″
- Weight 4 lbs 11 oz
- Weight Capacity 300 lbs
- The lightweight aluminum frame makes the Rendezvous Elite 2 pounds lighter than previous models.
- I found it easy to put the chair in the storage bag which is not always the case with backpacking gear.
- The sturdiness is surprising! No surprise that it’s made out of durable materials, but still…wow.
- This chair is reasonably lightweight. However, I do not feel it will compare super-lightweight options like the Helinox chairs.
- The hinges are sturdy, the materials feel high quality and solid once more especially for this price point.
- The height of the seat is low, so if you are looking for something higher, then this may not work well.
- I found the armrest comfort to be a little lacking, but this is a quirk of mine.
Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Upgrade Choices
Helinox Chair Zero Ultralight Compact Camping Chair
If you’re looking for a higher-quality backcountry chair for hiking, you can’t go wrong with the Helinox Chair Zero Ultralight Compact Camping Chair.
Weighing in at just over a pound, it’s one of the lightest camping chairs on the market today, and it packs down to a fraction of its size, making it perfect for taking on the go. The frame is made from advanced DAC aluminum alloy, and the fabric is lightweight ripstop polyester that resists harsh weather and UV rays. Setup is fast and easy with a single internal bungee cord that assembles the poles. So whether you’re camping in the backcountry or just relaxing at the beach, the Helinox Chair Zero Ultralight Compact Camping Chair is a perfect choice.
- 19″D x 20.5″W x 25″H
- 1.2 pounds
- Measures 4 x 4 x 13.5 inches packed
- Holds up to 265 pounds
- Warranty Included
- This chair is all about being lightweight. If keeping your pack light is important to you, this chair is a great choice.
- I have not used this chair on multiple trips yet, but it seems decently sturdy for the weight.
- I hate to harp on the weight, but this chair is an amazingly comfortable chair for such a lightweight option.
- My one complaint on comfort is that the seat is a little narrow and I felt squished in my hips
- The main issue I found with the chair is that it sinks into the ground.
Big Agnes Skyline UL Ultralight Backpacking Chair
Check out the Big Agnes Skyline UL Ultralight Backpacking Chair. This chair is made of ultralight materials and packs down small, making it perfect for taking with you on your next hike. It’s also comfortable and sturdy, so you can relax in it after a long day of exploring. It’s patented hub-less frame is made entirely of heavy-duty aircraft aluminum, making it stronger and more durable than any other ultralight camping chair available.
Weighing just over a pound, the ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite Chair packs down remarkably small. Best of all, this product features a fully shock-corded, color-coded architecture that makes setup a breeze. The ultralight nylon ripstop fabric is reinforced with high-tenacity robic yarn, ensuring that this chair will last for many seasons to come.
So if you’re looking for the best backcountry chair for hiking, look no further than the Big Agnes Skyline
- Trail weight of 1lb 11oz
- Packed weight of 1lb 12oz
- 3.5″ x 3.5″ x 17″
- Warranty Included
- The chair is lightweight and very sturdy.
- The bend in the back legs prevents it from sinking into ground, which makes me feel like I won’t fall out or break this when sitting in them!
- The fabric of this chair is really difficult to stretch over the poles. There’s no air mesh, either!
- I found the seat to be a bit small for me.
Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Best Value Choices
BLUU Ultralight Foldable Camping Chairs
BLUU Ultralight Foldable Camping Chairs are engineered with high-strength aluminum alloy and 600D Oxford cloth. They offer added support poles at the top and bottom of the chair, built for enhanced stability and added load-bearing. Best of all, they’re easy to assemble and will be ready for use in seconds! These chairs also have a unique carrying case that fits perfectly in a backpack, making them ideal for hiking and camping trips.
So if you’re looking for the best backcountry chair for hiking, the BLUU Ultralight Foldable Camping Chair is a great option!
- 17.3X4.5X4.5 inches when collapsed and put into carrying case
- Advertised at 2 pounds but closer to 3.5 pounds
- Can support up to 300 pounds
- The chair is so light and easy to put together that you can do it in under 5 minutes!
- Plus, the price point means this will be a great buy for any family on a tight budget. However…the materials don’t feel as high quality.
- I found that when I collapsed the poles and tied a strap around them, it was too short to wrap everything tight. The problem? That velcro strip is simply not long enough! It makes wrapping all the parts harder than necessary.
- In addition to the strap being small the bag needs to be just a little bigger to account for everything not being perfectly wrapped back up.
OneTigris Camping Backpacking Chair
You can’t go wrong with the OneTigris Camping Backpacking Chair. Made of durable materials and featuring a foldable frame for easy transport, this chair is perfect for any outdoor enthusiast.
The OneTigris Camping Backpacking Chair is made of a strong 7075 aluminum alloy frame that can support up to 300 pounds. It’s also corrosion-resistant, meaning it will stand up to the elements and last for years.
- 22.4″D x 19.6″W x 25.6″H
- Weighs only 2.4lb (1.1kg)
- Up to 330.6lb (150kg) weight capacity
- The chair is very comfortable and easy to get in-and out of.
- I liked the idea that it will support more weight than your average chairs.
- The size when folded was pleasantly small – perfect for those who are always worried about limited space.
- This chair was one of the hardest to assemble. Felt like I was going to break one of the legs trying to put it together. Tried a couple different ways to assemble and finally figured it out.
- It is not the most stable when you sit in it.
MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair
The MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair is perfect if you are looking for a budget chair. With a foldable aluminum pole and shock-cord structure, this chair can be set up in seconds, and it folds down to just 14 x 5 inches, making it easy to take with you on your next hike or camping trip. The breathable seat net and ripstop nylon seat make it comfortable to sit in, and the aircraft-grade corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy frame ensures that it will last for years to come.
The MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair is also very portable, weighing in at just 2 pounds. And thanks to the included carrying bag, you can easily take it with you wherever you go.
- Weighs only 2 pounds
- Load capacity up to 250 pounds
- Folds down to a 14 x 5 inch stuff
- The chair is very light and compact.
- It’s easy to stuff in a backpack.
- Setting up the chair couldn’t be simpler. Getting that seat cover onto frame was tricky at first but once I figured out how to do it went together quickly.
- The price may be cheap, but these chairs are anything but.
- The chair is lightweight and easy to carry, but I found myself needing help when sitting on uneven ground.
Final Thoughts – Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking
When it comes to finding the best backcountry chair for hiking, there are a few things you need to consider. The first is weight – you want something that is as light as possible so that it doesn’t add extra strain to your pack. The second is portability – the chair should fold down to a small size so that you can easily transport it. And finally, you want something that is comfortable to sit in so that you can enjoy your time out in the wilderness. With these things in mind, we’ve put together the above list of the best backcountry chairs for hiking, perfect for any adventure.
Best Backcountry Chairs For Hiking – Frequently Asked Questions
Are backpacking chairs worth it?
Backpacking chairs are definitely worth it for the comfort and convenience they provide. Not only do they make sitting around the campfire more comfortable, but they also come in handy when you need to take a break from hiking. They’re lightweight and fold up easily, so you can carry them with you on your trek without adding any extra weight or bulk.
How heavy should a backpacking chair be?
Backpacking chairs generally weigh between 1 and 2 pounds, so they’re lightweight and easy to carry with you on your trek.
What should you sit on when backpacking?
A backpacking chair is a great piece of gear to bring on your trek because it’s lightweight, convenient, and doesn’t take up any space in your pack.
Is Helinox worth the money?
If you’re looking for a lightweight and comfortable option, Helinox is definitely worth the money. Their chairs are made with high-quality materials and construction, so they’re designed to last. Plus, they’re easy to fold up and transport, making them a great choice for backcountry outings.
How do I choose a backpacking chair?
When choosing a backpacking chair, you’ll want to consider weight, portability, and comfort. Some chairs are heavier but more comfortable, while others are lighter but less comfortable. You’ll also want to make sure the chair can fold up easily and fit in your pack without taking up too much space.
Do you need a hiking chair?
NO, not really. However, they come in handy when you need to take a break from hiking, simply stopped for lunch, or when at camp for the night.
What’s the best lightweight camping chair?
There are a lot of great lightweight camping chairs on the market, but the one that stands out is the Helinox Chair Zero. It’s made with high-quality materials and construction, so it’s durable and built to last. Plus, it’s lightweight and easy to fold up, making it convenient for transport.
Featured Image From WikiMedia Commons
CharlesCharles is a man who loves the outdoors. He moved to Wyoming specifically to spend more time in the mountains and wilderness. A hunter and fisherman, Charles knows how to enjoy nature and all that it has to offer. He is an outdoorsman through and through, and he wouldn't have it any other way. Charles is the President of Absaroka Enterprises, an company focuse on outdoor entertainment and endeavours. He's also an Editor for Alpha and Omega Outdoors, an online hunting, fishing, camping, trapping, and all around outdoors blog.
Dakine Builder 40L Backpack Review
Our in-depth review of the Dakine Builder 40L Backpack covers the pros and cons of this backpack for hiking, camping, fishing, or hunting.
Mountaintop 70L/75L Backpack Review
Our in-depth review of the Mountaintop 70L/75L Backpack covers the pros and cons of this pack for hiking, camping, fishing, or hunting.