This post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, Alpha and Omega Outdoors may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finding a great pack for less than $100 is no easy feat, but the Scout 3400 Backpack from Teton Sports is a solid budget choice. And while this pack understandably falls short of its more costly peers, it offers durability and quality craftsmanship that belie its low price tag. If you’re on the hunt for an entry-level pack for your first backpacking trip, this one definitely deserves consideration.
|Teton Sports Scout 3400||Check Price On Amazon|
Stats and Specs
With a capacity of 55L, the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack is ideal for two to five days on the trail. Backpacking trips lasting a week or longer might require more space. The Scout 3400 weighs 4.5 pounds, which is a little on the heavy side, but not bad considering the price point.
The bag is made of 600D ripstop nylon and Oxford canvas, which is very rugged and durable, though it can also be a bit abrasive. A lightweight aluminum frame and adjustable suspension provide stability and allow the pack to fit a variety of torso lengths. Ample back and shoulder padding offer solid comfort for most users.
Backpackers who like a lot of compartments and pockets will enjoy getting acquainted with the inner workings of the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack. It has a spacious top-loading main compartment with a designated hydration reservoir sleeve, sleeping bag compartment, and numerous smaller pockets as well as exterior loops and straps. A rain cover is included, tucking away into its own zippered pouch in the bottom of the pack.
Pros of the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack
- Great value. There aren’t a lot of backpacking packs in the under-$100 price range that can beat the Scout 3400, especially when it comes to durability and space. It’s an excellent entry-level pack.
- Durable construction. The nylon and canvas material is abrasion- and tear-resistant, making this a great pack for hard wear-and-tear on the trail.
- Ample storage space. With 55L total space, the Teton Sports Scout 3400 has room for all the gear you need for just about any backpacking trip under a week. It also has various pockets and spaces, including a sleeping bag compartment, which make keeping all your gear organized simple and easy.
Cons of the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack
- A bit big and bulky. The overall impression of the Scout 3400 is that it’s somewhat cumbersome for its size. Its 4.5-pound weight, chunky straps and buckles and thick fabric make it heavier and more bulky than a lot of the more expensive packs with a similar capacity.
- Some comfort issues. Comfort with any pack depends on your body’s specific needs, but some users have found the Scout 3400 to be a less than ideal fit. The back padding and waist belt can be a bit stiff, and some have found the rough fabric to be abrasive, especially after multiple days on the trail.
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Backpack: Final Thoughts
The Teton Sports Scout 3400 is a solid, if imperfect, budget-friendly backpack for extended overnight hikes. There are lighter and more comfortable packs on the market, but despite its shortcomings, the Scout 3400 is a functional and economical pack that makes for a great entry-level choice. Consider it a great option if you’re new to backpacking and don’t want to overspend until you’ve gained some experience.
Richard CorriganRichard Corrigan has been writing about outdoor adventures, gear and travel for more than 10 years. His work has been featured by USA Today, 10Best.com, Next Luxury, and Gone Outdoors. He lives in Upstate New York, and If he isn't at his writing desk, you can probably find him out in the woods somewhere.
Click the button below to learn how you can go on a pack trip in the Wyoming mountains for FREE!Enter To WIN Now
Backcountry Camping East Coast – 5 Best Locations In The Northeast
This list of the Northeast's 5 best locations for backcountry camping on the east coast is all you will need to plan your next vacation.
How To Become a Backcountry Guide
Have you been wondering how to become a backcountry guide? This guide will walk you through the process of becoming a backcountry guide.