This post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, Alpha and Omega Outdoors may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hunting bows can be awfully expensive, especially those you might see many of today’s hunting personalities use on TV or YouTube. That said, there are some excellent options out there for beginners or someone just wanting to try bowhunting. After all, many of these lower cost hunting bows that can still put meat on the table. Today, I want to look at five of the best cheap bows for deer hunting that the market has to offer.
Since all of us have different interests and desires when it comes to bowhunting, I have broken this list into three categories.
- First, I have taken a look at two different compound bows that are great choices for beginners or experienced hunters alike.
- For those of you that may be looking at trying a more traditional approach to bowhunting, I have reviewed two recurve bows. Both of these bows are great choices to get started with you next deer hunt.
- Finally, I have chosen what I feel is the best cheap hunting crossbow for deer.
Best Cheap Bows For Deer Hunting – Quick Reference Chart
|Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Compound Bow||Check Price Here||Check Price Here|
|Predator Archery Raptor Compound Hunting Bow||Check Price Here||N/A|
|D&Q Archery Recurve Bow||Check Price Here||N/A|
|Toparchery 60” Archery Recurve Bow||Check Price Here||N/A|
|BearX Intense Crossbow||Check Price Here||N/A|
Best Cheap Bows for Deer Hunting – Compound Bows
Today, most bow hunters are using compound bows when deer hunting. That is why I have put these choices right up front in my list. In addition, my editor’s choice is a compound bow since I feel that this is what most readers will be trying to find.
Editor’s Choice: Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Compound Bow
Bear Achery has been around since 1933 and has been completely focused on archery products since 1940. Their founder, Fred Bear, is one of, if not the most, iconic figure in bow hunting. The reason for this brief history lesson is simple. I want you to realize that any product from Bear Archery is one that you can be proud of and will be a capable bow for years to come.
The Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Compound Bow is my Editor’s Choice for best cheap bows for deer hunting. This is a hunting-ready compound bow that comes in under $400, which is not too expensive for such a high-quality hunting bow that is loaded with features and accessories.
- This bow is available in both left and right handed models.
- This compound bow is highly adjustable to fit nearly anyone including youths and adults.
- All adjustments can be made with nothing more than an Allen wrench.
- The draw length to be adjusted from 12 to 30 inches, with the draw weight ranging from 50 to 70 pounds.
- The maximum velocity of arrows fired is 315 fps, which should be enough to take down a deer with ease.
- The bow weighs just 3 pounds, making it ideal for long days of hunting.
- I feel that this bow is of exceptional quality, especially for the price point.
- The absolute best part if you choose this bow is that this model comes already set up with sight, a whisker biscuit, a quiver, a stabilizer, a peep sight, and a nock loop, everything you need to start deer hunting.
- Lightweight design
- Suitable for all sizes and ages
- Highly adjustable draw length and weight
- Easy to make adjustments
- Very durable limbs
- Reasonable price
- Comes with many accessories
- The largest draw back of this bow is the string quality, it may have to be replaced with a better quality string
- No draw stops
Predator Archery Raptor Compound Hunting Bow Kit
The Predator Archery Raptor Compound Hunting Bow Kit is a durable and versatile compound hunting bow that is highly adjustable in various ways. I believe that this is a high-quality product for a more than affordable price.
- This compound bow is also highly adjustable without a bow press and can be used by both youths and adults.
- The draw length can be adjusted from 24.5 to 31 inches.
- Draw weight can be adjusted from 30 to 70 pounds.
- Features a let-off of 75%.
- The bow itself is relatively small and lightweight, as it has an axle-to-axle length of 30 inches and weighs just over 3.5 pounds, making it easy to use for long periods without fatigue.
- The bow has a maximum 315 fps arrow speed, which should be more than enough to take down a deer at a decent range.
- This compound bow comes with a variety of accessories, and when you take into account the high quality, the price is more than reasonable.
- Adjustable draw length
- Adjustable draw weight
- Does not require a bow press
- Comes with various accessories
- High-quality build/limbs
- Lightweight design
- String could be more durable
- Cam is not the highest quality
Best Cheap Bows for Deer Hunting – Traditional/Recurve Bows
For those of us looking for more of a challenge in their bow hunts or want to add a traditional bow to their arsenal, I have found a couple of great traditional choices for best cheap bows for deer hunting. These bows will allow you to get a start with traditional hunting without breaking the bank on a custom-made traditional bow.
D&Q Archery Recurve Bow
The D&Q Archery Recurve Bow is a great choice for a handmade cheap traditional hunting bow for deer. This bow is very reasonably priced and is of relatively high-quality for the low price. In addition, it comes with all of the accessories you need to get started.
- The finished wooden handle is durable and features an ergonomically designed, smooth grip.
- This bow comes in various draw weight options, including 30, 40, and 50 pounds, although individual models are not adjustable.
- The bow is explicitly designed for right handed shooters and is not available in a left hand model.
- The total length of the bow is just under 55 inches, a string length of just under 53 inches, a bow riser length of 15 inches, a brace height of just under 9 inches.
- Included with this bow are 12 arrows, 2 string nocks, a bow stringer, a string silencer, an arrow rest, a finger guard, and an arm guard – in other words, everything you need to get started.
- High-quality design
- Various draw weights to choose from
- Good size for most people
- Includes many accessories
- Reasonable price
- The arrows included in the kit are lower quality and will need replaced before hunting – they will get you started though
- Be careful when assembling -without care it is easy to assemble wrong
- Only offered in a right handed model
Toparchery 60” Recurve Bow
The Toparchery 60″ Recurve Bow is my second choice for a cheap hunting bow for deer. This is the lowest cost bow on my list but it is still a good choice for anyone that would want to get into traditional archery hunting.
- This recurve bow comes in several models with different draw weights ranging from 30 to 50 pounds.
- The limbs are made of ergonomically designed high-elastic fiberglass and bamboo laminates, allowing for outstanding strength, flexibility, and a good deal of power.
- The bow is only offered in a right hand model.
- This bow features a bow riser length of 15 inches, combined with a 28-inch draw length.
- It features a high-quality natural tire line bowstring that won’t snap anytime soon.
- Included with this bow, you get a bow stringer, a finger guard, an arm guard, an arrow rest, a three-arrow tube quiver, and six fiberglass arrows.
- Overall, it’s surprisingly durable, lightweight, and exceedingly easy to use for the low price.
- Various draw weight options
- Good size for most applications
- High-quality string
- High-quality limbs
- Allows for excellent arrow speed
- Lots of extras included
- Fantastic price
- The arrows included in the kit are lower quality and will need replaced before hunting they will get you started though
- Not adjustable
- Only offered in a right handed model
Best Cheap Bows for Deer Hunting – Crossbows
Crossbows are a matter of contention with many people involved with bowhunting. However, that is not the case here at Alpha and Omega Outdoors. My father has had one shoulder operated on 4 times and the other two. A crossbow has allowed him to extend his season and enjoy many days in the woods that he would have missed otherwise. If your state allows hunting with crossbows, then I say go for it.
BearX Intense Crossbow
I’ve looked at both compound bows and recurve bows, so to round off the list, let’s take a look at this affordable and relatively high-quality crossbow. The BearX Intense Crossbow is made by Bear Archery and is a great quality starter crossbow. This crossbow is a great choice to get a youth out hunting during bow season. It is also a great choice for experienced hunters that want to start bowhunting but may not be able to use a recurve or compound bow for any number of reasons.
- This crossbow releases its bolts at a maximum speed of 405 fps. This allows for more than enough power to take down nearly any big game animal.
- Some of my favorite features include the anti-dry fire inhibitor, the dual string suppressor system, and the Picatinny-style scope mount rail.
- Although this model is not overly expensive, it is made with high-quality materials and components. It includes a 4×32 multi crosshair reticle scope, a four-bolt quiver sling, three carbon bolts, a cocking rope, as well as rail and string lube.
- Coming in at just 7.5 pounds and at 18 inches wide uncocked (14 inches wide cocked), it’s a compact and lightweight crossbow that is perfect for extended hunting trips.
- Lightweight for a crossbow
- Super powerful 405 fps arrow flight
- Very high-quality components (besides the string)
- Very low price
- Ideal features for hunting
- Several accessories included
- String is not overly durable
- The scope is not the best quality, it is a good starter but will need replaced
- Assembly is not overly easy
It really comes down to what sort of bow you prefer for hunting, whether a compound bow, a recurve bow, or a crossbow. All have advantages and drawbacks, so I will leave this up to you to decide. That being said, I have reviewed some of the highest-quality cheap bows for deer hunting that you can get for reasonable prices.
Featured Photo by Anthony Roberts on Unsplash
CharlesCharles is a man who loves the outdoors. He moved to Wyoming specifically to spend more time in the mountains and wilderness. A hunter and fisherman, Charles knows how to enjoy nature and all that it has to offer. He is an outdoorsman through and through, and he wouldn't have it any other way. Charles is the President of Absaroka Enterprises, an company focuse on outdoor entertainment and endeavours. He's also an Editor for Alpha and Omega Outdoors, an online hunting, fishing, camping, trapping, and all around outdoors blog.
How To Go Antelope Hunting In Wyoming
In this article, I discuss antelope hunting in Wyoming. I cover how you can get a tag, finding an outfitter, DIY antelope hunting, and gear.